Castillo de Santa Catalina
Castillo de Santa Catalina (Av. Maritima, Santa Cruz de la Palma) – this castle, built in the 16th century (after an attack by French pirates in 1553), was built to defend the port and city of Santa Cruz de la Palma. The Spanish crown used this site as a fort until 1808, when it was later used as a prison and military barracks. The castle was declared a historic monument in 1949.